Tuesday, July 22, 2008

SAIL BOAT


7.21.08 sail boat. well, first and foremost at my birthday beach 'party'* this weekend at alki, i saw a lot of sail boats, which made me think of two things.

1. about 5 or 6 years ago, erin blairs dad took me, stacy, derek and some other folks sailing. this was very exciting because A. i could yell "i'm sailing" and mean it and 2. he let me drive the boat.  my favorite memory of being on the sailboat was that we all had 'jobs' assigned to us.  my job was if anyone fell overboard to point at them and keep pointing at them so that we wouldn't lose them in the sea.  here's how the conversation went:
mr. blair: dana, your job is to point at anyone that falls overboard.
dana: and LAUGH!
mr. blair: no, dana, if someone falls overboard it is very serious. we don't want to be losing that person at sea.
dana: okay, sorry mr. blair, i won't laugh.

now, maybe you had to be there, but at the time, i thought my retort was hilarious, and the hilarity of it was further increased by mr. blair (the captain) not being at all amused by my joke.

secondly, my band mate, paul, lives on a sail boat and i think that is pretty rad. even if he doesn't know how to sail.  he's learning, apparently, and once he gets that shit down i'm ready to go do some swashbuckling and pillaging/raping.


dana r. larkin

*the term 'party' should be taken very lightly.  it was more so me sitting on the beach drinking malt liquor while various people came by to say happy birthday.  thanks to those that showed love/brought me booze and wished me well: carrie, michelle, michelle, wayne, drew, nicholas, hitlary, ayden, marian, chloe, moe, aislinn, chris, lindy, guthrie, keifer, tracy, gordon, sam, stacy, graham, garry, noble, tara and i'm sure some others i'm forgetting.  if YOU forgot, don't worry about it.  i don't make a big deal over my birthday, therefore, you shouldn't either.  but, really, fuck you. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"i'm ready to go do some swashbuckling and pillaging/raping."---are you just going to keep the sailboat moored in order to do these things? I know what not seeing land does to you.
I would have laughed if anyone fell off the boat too. I'm just saying.

Hope you had a fan-fucking-tastic birthday. I wish I had enough knuckles to write fan-fucking-tastisc on them.

dana said...

i mean, i can go to sea. just as long as i can see land that i can swim to, i'm good. i realize this doesn't leave me many options to rape and pillage and plunder, but, i'll make do.